#38Write—my global writing initiative—is a monthly series of online writing adventure workshops for place-passionate, culturally curious writers around the world. Each writing adventure focuses on one particular aspect of craft or the writing life (for example, writing kick-butt descriptions), and during each 38-hour adventure, writers connect with me and #38Write writers around the world via a Twitter hashtag and a group Pinterest board. In the August workshop, we had 16 writers in 8 countries.
I’m giving away one scholarship for the September #38Write writing workshop! Yep, one lucky writer or aspiring writer will get to take the workshop for free.
Folks all around the world are encouraged to enter the #38Write contest.
Here’s the scoop…
How to Enter
Leave a comment below telling why you’re the perfect candidate for this scholarship. Perhaps a quick story about a place or culture with which you’ve connected deeply OR a place or culture with which you’ve disconnected completely. Make a list of all the places you’ve lived or write a description of the place where you’ve lived all your life. Tell me why you’re interested in the workshop. Or… (you get the picture)
I’ll choose the winner on Wednesday, September 26. You may leave comments until then. (only one comment per person)
AND…please be sure to leave an email address OR check back on Wednesday to see if you’ve won!
Who Can Enter
You quality if:
- You’ve NEVER taken a #38Write workshop before. (If you’ve EVER taken a #38Write workshop, you may not enter the contest.)
- You are able to write in English. (English might be your second, third, or fourth language. Perfectly fine.)
- You can commit to the September 29–30 weekend.
- You can’t transfer this scholarship to another #38Write. Nope, not for any reason…not illness, a dental appointment, a wacky travel schedule, a sick kiddo, an unexpected jail term, a Nobel Prize, etc. The winner must take the September #38Write (September 29–30).
What Are Writers Writing in #38Write?
Ooh, such good, good stuff (both fiction and nonfiction):
- Here’s a sampling from August’s #38Write (Peregrination).
- In the July #38Write (Structure), I asked writers to define culture without using any external resources (dictionary, thesaurus, Internet, friends, etc.). Here’s what some of them wrote…
What Are Writers Saying About #38Write?
- “I entered 38Write timidly and came out confident.” (Anita C., U.S.)
- “And what I love the most is that the writing exercises and Pinterest board make me look at stories, people, and places from different perspectives. They make me think of the whole craft behind the beautiful words on the paper.” (Maria C., U.K.)
- “…thanks to Kristin I am inspired to continue to find that voice and explore the world of written expression once again.” (Lisa T., Belgium)
- “…unbeatable cultural connection—writing perspectives from Belgium to Turkey!” (Meena V., U.S.)
- “To focus, for one weekend a month, on some particular way of tackling ‘place’ has been a perfect way to hone my skills, get some inspiration, and learn from Kristin as well as the other fascinating participants.” (Jennifer L., South Korea)
- To read lots more from #38Write writers, click here.
Unique Aspects of #38Write
- It all happens in a weekend.
- #38Write is a marvelously global workshop, with writers in South Korea, Australia, Belgium, the U.K., China, and many more countries.
- The workshop has a strong social media aspect. Writers in the workshop connect via both Twitter and Pinterest. (Some writers in the workshop choose some or none of the social media engagement; it’s up to each individual.)
- You get solid feedback from me, an author with an MFA degree, nearly 20 years as a writing workshop instructor, and almost five years of experience as an expat in China.
How I’ll Choose the Winner
- I’ll be using the highly scientific method of putting into a hat the names of all folks who comment and having my four-year-old reach in and pull a name. (Time and time again, this method has proven to be fail-safe under the most extraordinary conditions. You can depend on my four-year-old.)
- Again, this will happen on Wednesday, September 26. Don’t dilly-dally.
Spread the Word
- Please spread the word about the scholarship! Tweet about it. Put it on your Facebook page. Share it in your blog.
This is a great opportunity to try something new as a writer. Hope to see your comment below!