#38Write—my [new-ish] global writing initiative—is a monthly series of online writing adventure workshops for place-passionate, culturally curious writers around the world. Each writing adventure focuses on one particular aspect of craft or the writing life (for example, writing kick-butt descriptions), and during each 38-hour adventure, writers connect with me and #38Write writers around the world via a Twitter hashtag and a group Pinterest board. In the August workshop, we had 16 writers in 8 countries!
Looking for a unique writing workshop that nurtures your interest in place, culture, maps, journeys, odysseys, travel, etc.?
Perfect timing…because the September edition of the 38Write writing adventure series—38Write | Square Peg, Round Hole?—is now open for registration. It will take place on September 29–30. (Click over to the CLASSES page for lots more information about this specific workshop and to sign up.)
WHAT IS 38WRITE?
38Write is a writing adventure workshop designed specifically for place-passionate, culturally curious writers that will get you out of your house—no matter where you live—and into your environs.
In June, I launched the first 38Write online writing adventure with 38Write | Description.
In July, I continued with 38Write | Structure, which went forth with 16 writers in 9 countries. One of the assignments for that workshop was to define culture without using a dictionary, thesaurus, or other reference tool. It sparked some pretty spectacular definitions (read them here) and a lively conversation on Twitter.
And in August, 16 writers in 8 countries participated in 38Write | Peregrination. Though the writers are still nursing their blisters, they wrote some pretty amazing pieces about walks that connected them culturally to places. (Read those here.)
THE UNIQUE ASPECTS OF 38WRITE
- Each writing adventure is 38 hours long. It’s a manageable amount of time that fits into anyone’s busy schedule. (Good gracious, no, you will not be writing or adventuring for 38 hours straight. I’m ambitious for you, but not crazy. You will need approximately 2-4 hours to work during the 38-hour period…give or take an hour.)
- Each writing adventure will focus on one particular aspect of craft or the writing life. You will not be writing an entire essay or short story (but you might accidentally do so). Some adventures will focus on a skill, like writing kick-butt descriptions; others might get you to look at what inspires you or how you move from idea to writing.
- During each 38-hour period, you’ll be able to connect with me and #38Write writers around the world via a Twitter hashtag. (How cool is that?!)
- You will get feedback from me. (For more info about me, click here.)
- Terrific for folks writing fiction, essays, or memoir.
- Beginners and experienced writers are welcome and encouraged to join. There are some of each (and everything in between) in every workshop.
- It’s affordable. A single 38Write writing adventure costs only $38 (U.S.).
WHY DID I CREATE 38WRITE?
While living, writing, and teaching writing in the U.S. and Shanghai, I learned (and/or relearned) a number of things:
- Each of us has a heck of a lot to learn from folks in other countries (and not usually the things we think we need to learn).
- Story is an international conversation that can help us better understand one another.
- By helping writers from all over the world to improve their craft, I can play a wee role in facilitating this global conversation.
- Writing is recursive. You must practice. (And if I do say so myself, I’m pretty darn good at getting writers to practice.)
IS 38WRITE FOR YOU?
38Write adventures are designed for all place-passionate writers, including expats and repats, globetrotters, armchair travelers, nomads, cultural spelunkers, deeply rooted souls, mapmakers and mapbreakers, wanderers and wayfarers, voyagers, and all writers interested in exploring and writing about their environs.
So, yup, if you’re asking, 38Write is probably for you.
To learn more and sign up for 38Write | Square Peg, Round Hole?, visit CLASSES.