It’s Mojo Monday, and as always, I’ve got a little something-something to lift your creative spirits, buoy you up, help you get your mojo on, and nudge (or better yet, catapult) you into writerhead.
Looking for a unique writing workshop?
Perfect timing…because the next edition of the 38Write writing adventure series—38Write Structure—is now open for registration. (Click over to the CLASSES page for lots more information about this specific workshop and to sign up.)
WHAT IS 38WRITE?
38Write is a writing adventure workshop designed specifically for place-passionate, culturally curious writers that will get you out of your house—no matter where you live—and into your environs.
Last month, I launched the first 38Write online writing adventure with 38Write | Description, and yowza! It more than exceeded my hopes and expectations. Thirteen writers in 7 countries signed up, set off on their adventures, and wrote some intense, provocative prose.
THE UNIQUE ASPECTS OF 38WRITE
- Each writing adventure is 38 hours long. It’s a manageable amount of time that fits into anyone’s busy schedule. (Good gracious, no, you will not be writing or adventuring for 38 hours straight. I’m ambitious for you, but not crazy. You will need approximately 2-4 hours to work during the 38-hour period…give or take an hour.)
- Each writing adventure will focus on one particular aspect of craft or the writing life. You will not be writing an entire essay or short story (but you might accidentally do so). Some adventures will focus on a skill, like writing kick-butt descriptions; others might get you to look at what inspires you or how you move from idea to writing.
- During each 38-hour period, you’ll be able to connect with me and 38Write writers around the world via a Twitter hashtag. (How cool is that?!)
- You will get feedback from me. (For more info about me, click here.)
- Terrific for folks writing fiction, essays, or memoir.
- Beginners and experienced writers are welcome and encouraged to join.
- It’s affordable. A single 38Write writing adventure costs only $38 (U.S.).
WHY DID I CREATE 38WRITE?
While living, writing, and teaching writing in Shanghai, I learned (and/or relearned) a number of things:
- Each of us has a heck of a lot to learn from folks in other countries (and not usually the things we think we need to learn).
- Story is an international conversation that can help us better understand one another.
- By helping writers from all over the world to improve their craft, I can play a wee role in facilitating this global conversation.
- Writing is recursive. You must practice. (And if I do say so myself, I’m pretty darn good at getting writers to practice.)
38Write adventures are designed for all place-passionate writers, including expats and repats, globetrotters, armchair travelers, nomads, cultural spelunkers, deeply rooted souls, mapmakers and mapbreakers, wanderers and wayfarers, voyagers, and all writers interested in exploring and writing about their environs.
So, yup, if you’re asking, 38Write is probably for you.
To learn more and sign up for 38Write | Structure, visit CLASSES.